Thursday 22 August 2013

Lets Talk - Bases


When I sometimes hear my friends talk about foundations, I'm puzzled. From "It clogs pores and makes you breakout" to "why would you want a layer of goo on your face", I'm pretty sure I've heard it all. I understand the idea of foundation can be a bit daunting, especially when you see it caked on the face, making the person almost seem like they're sporting a mask. But with a little research and some consideration, I believe any complexion, skintype and foundationphobe can find the right foundation.
These are some of my favourites and errors. (From right - left)

MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC43.5
My first ever foundation. First bought it when I was 19 when I was MUCH more tanned than I am now. Its supposed to suit oily skin, and has medium - full coverage in my opinion. When I first put this on, I thought.. "WOW", keep in mind this was before I really got into make up, blogs, youtube etc. It evened out my face beautifully and almost did look flawless. However, it doesn't wear very well, slips and slides on me and has horrible flashback (thank you SPF). It also somehow felt heavy on my skin. Something I hadn't really realized till I got myself my next foundation.
(I JUST finished my second bottle of it, and I will not be repurchasing this)

Chanel Vita Lumier Aqua in B60
This was a purchase made mostly because of the many rave reviews it got on youtube. It was also the first of many such purchases (whoops). As the name suggests this is a water-based foundation, so give it a good old shake and it goes on like a dream. It honestly feels like I'm washing my face. It is fragranced, but it has the most addictive smell - so good. It's light with light - medium coverage, more medium than light and imparts this most subtle yet natural looking glow. Oh boy. Is this a beauty or what. The colour watch is perfect, not to yellow (which I feel is the case with MAC foundations), and works perfectly with my non-tanned skin. Will I be repurchasing this? Hell yeah!

MAC Face and Body in C5
It is the best foundation I have tried till date. Its everything that the Chanel foundation is, only lighter. Its also the most beautifully buildable foundation I have ever used. The colourmatch again, is perfect. It leaves my skin feeling refreshed and light and lovely. Oh boy. I have a major crush on this foundation. Will I be repurchasing this? YES. In the larger size.

Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation in Toast
I bought this on ebay, after using the websites shade matching thingamajig. It's a bit too yellow for me, its also WAAAY to dark now. It was fine when I was a bit more tanned, but now it just looks so wrong. Its also very light coverage, so sheering it out is not an option really.
I have major problems with this one. Colour, Consistency, Coverage. All three just don't seem to work. I really liked it at first. I even sort of raved about it in a post, but after using it now for 6 months, and once both the Vitalumier Aqua and the Face and Body came into my life, using this became unbearable.
Will I be repurchasing this? Nope. I'm not sure what to do with what I have even.

So there you go, my two scents. Next on my wishlist? Nars Sheer Mat, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk/Maestro and Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundations.



9 comments:

  1. MAC Face and Body sounds good, don't know why I haven't tried it yet. :/ And I too want to try out LM creame foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try MAC Face and Body foundation..have heard so much about it!
    Btw from MAC do give MAC Pro Long Wear a try as well..I really like the formula..feels very light weight! thats my next foundation from MAC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit scared to try the other MAC foundations, somehow. They seem too yellow. Maybe I should try a lighter shade.

      Delete
    2. I agree on being too yellow..but for me yellow toned work best since I have quite strong yellow undertones..give matchmaster a try..all shades are neutral undertones and its one of the best in MAC..Studio Fix Fluid I feel is way too heavy on the face and oxidizes a lot! I had NC42 sample but never liked it..rather than enhancing it made me look even more dull and dark :(

      Delete
  3. OMG, YAY! A new blog! I've always been a little hesitant to use makeup, but since you've been my blog-friend since ages I'm sure I can rely on your advice, reviews and tips.

    Also, YOU ARE GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss, its been up and running for a while now!
      Aww, thanks :D :D

      Woman, you are gorgeous yourself! Even more so with that funkai hair! :D

      Delete
  4. I'm loving my Nars Tinted Moisturizer in Cuba. It' perfect for my summer skin, not sure how it'll fare in winter :|

    I'm also in the process of testing out Revlon's Nearly Naked! My color is Sun Beige. So far I'm liking it. I have HUGE foundations issues (basically I hate them :P) but this and the Nars are light enough to not bother me.

    I still need to try out Mac, though. It's probably the next thing I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAH, I've been wanting the NARS tinted moisturizer! :(
      ..I've realized how much I like light foundations too! Despite my VERY problematic skin!

      Delete